For 100 years, Catholic Charities has been committed to serving the poor, protecting the vulnerable and welcoming the stranger.
The mission is to …
1) SERVE the community to in turn serve the vulnerable;
2) ENLIGHTEN the community to see God’s love for the poor; and
3) EMPOWER the community so all God’s children rise from spiritual and material poverty.
Catholic Charities Southwestern Ohio services a diverse population from many areas of the world through our internal programming with Refugee Resettlement and Su Casa and external service to the community. CCSWOH Language Services Department provides high quality interpreter services for a variety of needs including; ESL class, case management, job seeking, job orientation and training, housing orientation, legal appointments, and more.
The Community Interpreter is responsible for serving as a conduit between service provider(s) and consumer (s) by conveying messages accurately by listening to, understanding and interpreting spoken statements from one language to another. Contract assignments may vary in nature and setting based on consumer needs. Typically settings would include; schools, social services agencies, health care organizations, and other types of appointments. Contract Community Interpreters will be contacted for assignments based on language need, Contractor availability and stated preferences. All services performed must be in compliance with the National Council on Interpreting in Health Care Code of Ethics.
• Ability to demonstrate Language Proficiency (ACTFL Certification preferred)
• Completion of a 40-60 hour medical or legal interpreter training
• Knowledge of industry specific terminology with ability to use a glossary or other resources
• Ability to explain certain cultural concepts to avoid miscommunication as appropriate and permitted by the consumer.
• Ability to manage time and be prompt for all assignments.
• Proof of citizenship or valid work permit
• Reliable transportation
• 18 years of age or older
• High School Diploma
Contractors of Charities Southwestern Ohio will be acting on behalf of the organization and therefore have responsibility to present in a professional manner and be willing to act respectfully in regards to the Catholic Faith.
Submit resume and/ or work history and qualifications to:
Recruitment & Retention Specialist